Vinegar is safe and cheap. There might be a hundred ways to use it in the kitchen. Here are five.
1. Clean the dishwasher. Place a dishwasher safe cup of vinegar on the top rack and run a cycle on the hottest water temperature. This should sanitize, deodorize, and wash away the grime.
2. Clean the refrigerator. Spray surfaces with a 50-50 mix of vinegar and water and wipe them clean. Wipe the rubber seals with undiluted vinegar to help prevent mildew.
3. Wash fresh produce. Fruits and veggies with smooth surfaces can be sprayed with a mix of 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar, then rinsed with cold water. Broccoli and other textured vegetables should be soaked and swirled in a 3-to-1 mix, then rinsed. Vinegar kills about 98% of bacteria.
4. Disinfect the cutting boards. Spray with vinegar, then spray with 3% hydrogen peroxide. Keep the liquids in separate spray bottles and use one at a time.
5. Degrease the drain. Pour 1/2 cup baking soda down the drain, followed by 1 cup vinegar. Let it bubble for 15 minutes, then rinse with very hot water. Repeat if necessary or try leaving the baking soda and vinegar overnight.